|Knots - FAQ's(Frewquently Asked Questions)
- What is Erba made up of?
- Will the surface have to be Concrete?
- Is it stuck to the surface?
- Is it just laid / can it be removed anytime?
- What is the effect of rain / monsoon?
- Is it porous? Any cleaning / wiping everyday? Will there be any leakage onto the floor below?
- How heavy is the turf after installation?
- How is Dust cleaned?
- Is it okay to keep potted plants on E? What about stains?
- What is the effect of sunlight and heat (Fading? Will the heat turn up the edges / corners)?
- What is the typical life of the product?
- What is the width of the turf?
- Does Erba install the site or does it have to be done by the client?
- Does it need to be watered?
- Can it be used Indoors?
- Can it be used Outdoors?
- How does it make commercial sense compared to natural grass?
- What makes up the cost of procuring and installing Erba?
- What is the delivery period?
1. What is Erba made up of?
Erba is made of a perfect blend of Polypropylene fibers and Polyethylene which give the desire toughness to the fibers to withstand heavy usage and the softness for it to feel like grass. The backing underneath is made of Polyurethane.
2. Will the surface have to be Concrete?
The surface on which Erba is installed can be almost anything: hard ground / rocky areas / rooftops (tiles / RCC) etc. Erba being porous, the only requirement remains:
If the installation is on a hard surface (which is non-porous like a rooftop) there needs to be adequate sloping to allow rainwater or other water to flow towards a water outlet. If the installation is indoors where there are no chances of falling of water on Erba, the only requirement remains is the floor should be smooth.
3. Is it stuck to the surface?
Direct sticking will prevent water from flowing underneath the turf. Given that Erba is porous (rain-water or any other water that falls on Erba almost instantly flows down through the porous backing underneath) therefore it is installed in such a way that there is enough clearance for water to flow.
On hard ground, there is an elaborate sub-base preparation that is done to ensure that it is firm yet porous to allow water to seep into the ground. On a hard surface like concrete, tiles etc., a thick contoured mesh is laid, which allows a clearance of 4-6 mm for the water to flow along the slope towards the water outlet.
4. Is it just laid / can it be removed anytime?
The installation of Erba is almost semi-permanent. It cannot be removed oftenly or even frequently, it can be taken off permanently if required.
5. What is the effect of rain / monsoon?
Erba is very porous. (Drains at over 12-14 inches per hour which is faster than the heaviest rain). Which is why it is installed in over 3,000 stadiums, where sporting activities continue even when it is raining heavily (Football, Rugby etc). Further more, Erba is made to withstand all the atmospheric condition outdoor / indoor. Erba carries ultra violet processed fiber which give strength for colorfastness in hot conditions.
6. Is it porous? Any cleaning / wiping everyday? Will there be any leakage onto the floor below?
7. How heavy is the turf after installation?
- Yes. Erba is porous.
- Daily cleaning / wiping is not required. The only maintenance needed is an occasional brushing.
While the turf itself is not very heavy (about 175 gms per sft), there is a infill of Silica sand and Rubber granules that is in filled between the fibers. (The infill is required to support the fibers and prevent them from falling flat when walked upon and also to provide a soft cushioning when people walk on it). The approximate weight of infill in each sft is less than 1 to 1.5 kgs.
8. How is Dust cleaned?
A light spray of water is all that is needed to wash the dust away, whenever required. Alternatively, a light brushing is also effective. Normally, a vacuum cleaner should not be used, as it may suck up the infill of silica sand and rubber granules that is in filled between the fibers. For cleaning of food items, leaves and other materials generally cleaning is done by broom.
9. Is it okay to keep potted plants on Erba? What about stains?
- It is okay to keep potted plants on Erba, but there position should be changed after every few weeks. So that the fibers that are bent temporarily can regain their shape.
- If there are any stains, they can be washed or wiped away, by applying brush with mild detergent solutions.
10. What is the effect of sunlight and heat (Fading? Will the heat turn up the edges / corners)?
- Erba has been UV treated to resist fading.
- The melting point of the fibers is over 150º Centigrade. There are many installation of Erba in the Middle East, where temperatures are over 50ºC. Additionally it is also treated to be Fire-Retardant.
11. What is the typical life of the product?
While Erba is warranted for 5 - 8 years (7 years in the case of Golf products), the estimated life could be 15 to 20 years or more.
12. What is the width of the turf?
6'.7" & 13’.2” ( 2 Mtr & 4 Mtr.)
13. Does Erba install the site or does it have to be done by the client?
Installation will have to be done by Erba, their Authorized Distributors or their trained installation teams.
14. Does it need to be watered?
No! Unlike the old generation "Astroturf" kind of fields used in Hockey stadiums, Erba does not need to be watered.
15. Can it be used Indoors?
Yes, Erba is ideal to be used indoors, as natural grass would not grow due to lack of sunlight.
16.Can it be used Outdoors?
17. How does it make commercial sense compared to natural grass?
Costs of natural grass, sodding, grass replacement, soil replacement, fertilizer, water, weeding, mowing, labour, extra RCC and water proofing etc., all contribute to a substantial cost of maintaining natural grass, while there are no expenses on account of the maintenance of Erba.
Also, Erba is an ideal choice where grass does not grow or cannot be maintained. Such as
- Water constraint
- High summer heat
- Heavy foot traffic areas
Nowadays it is also used extensively for home / hotel / resort Golf Putting Greens.
18. What makes up the cost of procuring and installing Erba?
Erba is manufactured in the US and therefore has to be imported. After which there is an elaborate, exacting process to install it. Due to its porosity either a specific sub-base is constructed, or (on a rooftop) a special contoured mesh is laid. Then the turf is cut along the shape of the installation site. The fibers are brushed open with special machines. Extensive amount of Silica Sand (not beach sand), rubber granules are infilled and there is a finishing process. All these contribute to the one-time costs of procuring and installing Erba.
19. What is the delivery period?
Normally all the varieties are kept readily available to maximum extent. Total delivery period depends upon the destination distance for its transportation, with the exception for very large orders i.e for container quantities the delivery schedule is worked out at the time of finalization of the order. Sale and Installation confirmations are based on 80% advance of the total order value.