F.A.Q - Knots
Direct sticking will prevent water from flowing underneath the turf. Given that Erba is porous (rain-water or any other water that falls on Erba almost instantly flows down through the porous backing underneath) therefore it is installed in such a way that there is enough clearance for water to flow.
On hard ground, there is an elaborate sub-base preparation that is done to ensure that it is firm yet porous to allow water to seep into the ground. On a hard surface like concrete, tiles etc., a thick contoured mesh is laid, which allows a clearance of 4-6 mm for the water to flow along the slope towards the water outlet.
The installation of Erba is almost semi-permanent. It cannot be removed oftenly or even frequently, it can be taken off permanently if required.
Erba is very porous. (Drains at over 12-14 inches per hour which is faster than the heaviest rain). Which is why it is installed in over 3,000 stadiums, where sporting activities continue even when it is raining heavily (Football, Rugby etc). Further more, Erba is made to withstand all the atmospheric condition outdoor / indoor. Erba carries ultra violet processed fiber which give strength for colorfastness in hot conditions.
- Yes. Erba is porous.
- Daily cleaning / wiping is not required. The only maintenance needed is an occasional brushing.
- It is okay to keep potted plants on Erba, but there position should be changed after every few weeks. So that the fibers that are bent temporarily can regain their shape.
- If there are any stains, they can be washed or wiped away, by applying brush with mild detergent solutions.
- Erba has been UV treated to resist fading.
- The melting point of the fibers is over 150º Centigrade. There are many installation of Erba in the Middle East, where temperatures are over 50ºC. Additionally it is also treated to be Fire-Retardant.
Costs of natural grass, sodding, grass replacement, soil replacement, fertilizer, water, weeding, mowing, labour, extra RCC and water proofing etc., all contribute to a substantial cost of maintaining natural grass, while there are no expenses on account of the maintenance of Erba.
Also, Erba is an ideal choice where grass does not grow or cannot be maintained. Such as
- Water constraint
- High summer heat
- Heavy foot traffic areas
Nowadays it is also used extensively for home / hotel / resort Golf Putting Greens.